[Hidden-tech] Airport Extreme - printer

Frieda Reichsman friedar at nsm.umass.edu
Thu May 24 09:37:41 EDT 2007

On May 24, 2007, at May 24, 8:56 AM, Jeff Rutherford wrote:

> There is a USB port on the back of the Airport Extreme for
> connecting a printer or a external hard drive. Is it possible to
> use a USB extension so that I can plug a printer and external hard
> drive to that USB port simultaneously vs. having to constantly plug
> and unplug the printer and external hard drive?

Hi Jeff,

According to Apple, yes - you can use a USB hub to plug both your
printer and external drive into your Airport Extreme. I've been
reading up on this, so this is not based on experience, but it is
documented by Apple - can't give you a URL, tho - been reading too
many different reviews, descriptions etc.

I also read some posts in a blog, one that commented that the hub had
to have its own power source, another that contradicted this
directly, saying no power source was required for the hub itself.
Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Frieda

Frieda Reichsman
Molecules in Motion