[Hidden-tech] Using YouTube and Blogger to create FREE instant multimedia websites

David Caputo david at positronicdesign.com
Wed May 23 10:53:24 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

Expanding on the theme of "podcasting" a few weeks ago, I related my
experience with using a low-end Sony DV Tape Handycam, an iMac with
iMovie, and YouTube to quickly and inexpensively (approaching free,
other than time) post video blogs, performances, instructions, and
marketing messages.

Now I add Blogger (Blogspot) to the mix and have created something even
more customizable and powerful, and still it's essentially free except
for the time required.

Last Saturday, May 19th, the band Unit7 with Kim Zombik and the Trailer
Park Horns along with special guests Celia and Wil Lettman played the
Iron Horse Music Hall to a packed, standing-room-only crowd. I was there
and videotaped the entire thing on my <$300 Sony DV Handycam. I then
went home, downloaded the tape to my computer, sliced it up and exported
it as web video using iMovie, and posted it up on
http://www.YouTube.com/PositronicDesign

It was great, but there were a few problems.

Even though I posted everything in reverse order, so that the songs
appeared in the order that they were performed at the concert, the
system can only display up to 20 videos at any one time, and there were
25 songs in the concert, so there was no way to get the whole show onto
one page. Plus, there is no way to keep the show from getting pushed
into the background chronologically if I ever post more stuff, which I
intend to. It was great for what it was, as in the entire show was live
on YouTube by 8am Sunday morning, but the delivery left me wanting.

So... I came up with a creative solution that's working out quite well.

I created a free Blogger account just for the show. I then created a
blog entry (there will only ever be one) by picking one of the pre-set
templates, tweaking it slightly to allow for the size of the embedded
YouTube videos, and then entering and formatting text and copying in the
"embed this video" code from YouTube.

I think it turned out pretty well...

http://Unit7IronHorse.blogspot.com

For a few extra bucks, I registered a domain name for the band ($20/yr)
and created a hosting account (Super-Economy, $5/month) and set the
index page of the hosting account to alias over to the Blogspot page.
This is not "required", but it does make it more "professional" and
easier to advertise and remember.

To wit, now you can get to their blogspot page at http://www.Olbik.com

So check out what I've been able to do for practically free. It's a big
job, so it took about 12 hours of actual time to get the job complete,
plus the two hours shooting the video. As a professional job, it would
have billed out at 14 hrs x $95/hr = $1330, which is still not bad at
all when you see what you get and compare it to the other commercial
options available for anywhere near that price. For a company that wants
to bring this capability to their internal staff, it's simply a matter
of getting less than $2000 worth of equipment and having a steady hand
with the camera and a discerning eye during shot selection and editing.
I can train someone in the basics in a couple of hours.

I'm interested in people's feedback and stories of their experiences
with similar mediums. There are other technical options out there that
do essentially the same thing (Google Video, TypePad, etc) but the ones
I've described work quickly, easily, and very well.

Check it out for yourself and see what's possible. The concert was
Saturday, the complete web site re-creation of the concert was live to
the world in its present form on Tuesday morning. That's not too shabby
in the turnaround department, considering it's 25 separate individual
music videos, complete with Titles, Descriptions, Tags and a link back
to their YouTube source pages for easily integrated ratings, commentary,
subscription, and forwarding to friends.

http://www.Olbik.com - Unit7 at the Iron Horse Music Hall

Videos shot and edited and web page created by David Caputo of
Positronic Design

http://www.PositronicDesign.com
http://www.TotallyFixed.com