[Hidden-tech] Governor Patrick's New Grasroots Issues Web Site

Joseph Conway joe at conwaylawgroup.com
Mon Mar 26 15:29:15 EDT 2007

Dear Fellow H-T Members,

Governor Deval Patrick has set up a website where citizens can post
issues that they want to bring to his attention.  I created a "Western
Massachusetts Economic Development" post.  It is intended to highlight
some of what the creative and knowledge sectors (including small
businesses, independent contractors and their advocates and community
supporters) out here in Western Mass are trying to accomplish, and to
remind him of the economic development commitments he made to the
Berkshires and Pioneer Valley creative economies during the election
campaign.

You can read more about the site in a recent Boston Globe article at:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/03/24/patrick_site_to_go_live____activists_cant_wait_to_log_on/
.

My aim is to use this web site post as one more venue for drumming up
interest in Boston for the economic development and creative economy
issues most important to us, such as:

   * Implementation of parts of the Berkshire Blueprint
   * Support for our local cultural and educational institutions
   * Support for the arts and tourism here in Western Mass
   * Improvements to our transportation infrastructure
   * Stronger protections for our environment and natural resources
   * More (and more effective) human services, etc.

Most of the people currently logging on and posting are professional
lobbying organizations and interest groups who want a bigger piece of
the state budget.  Fair enough, but I think that what many of us have
been trying to accomplish through our different organizational and other
informal efforts (i.e., Open Studios, Hidden-Tech, Drinking Liberally,
BerkshireVisualArts.org, Bhip etc.) is a lot "truer" to the site's
vision of soliciting information from the real grassroots.  If enough of
us log on and vote to approve (or disapprove) my post, or (I hope) add
comments to it or (even better) post their own issues, our collective
economic development/creative sector issues can rise to the top of the
site.  Because of the way politics works, we may be able to get a decent
amount of attention to the Western Mass creative economy and small
business causes dear to our hearts.

So I ask you to please go to the general website, at
http://www.devalpatrick.com, or go directly to the Western Mass issue
page I created, http://devalpatrick.com/issue.php?issue_id=7578254.
Please log in, read my post, and consider adding your vote in support of
what I have written.  I must admit that I know a lot more about the
issues facing my part of the State, and not as much about specific
issues of interest to the Pioneer Valley members of H-T, so please
forgive me if I made any glaring omissions, and consider posting your
own creative economy/arts-related issues, or adding a post on any other
issue of importance to you.

If you do add comments in support of my post, I respectfully ask that
you refrain from including any personal invectives or inflammatory
remarks regarding specific public officials or community organizations.
Please feel free to pass this email along to anyone else you think might
be interested in supporting this effort.

Thank you,
Joe Conway
The Conway Law Group, Esq.
228 Main Street, #192