[Hidden-tech] Old Mac Zip disks

ussailis at shaysnet.com ussailis at shaysnet.com
Tue Mar 20 18:49:23 EDT 2007

In Win 2000, NT & 98 (at least) they can be easily reformatted. Go into the
"command" prompt (old DOS prompt). Put the zip disk into its drive. Type
format X: /u  where X = drive letter USE GREAT CAUTION HERE. BE CAREFULL.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER TYPE "C."

The /u is so a temporary backup of the zip drive isn't made. On a zip disk,
this format will looks like it only erases the index track. It is fairly
quick.

I use Mac zip disks whenever I can get them. Over the years, I have had
only one that wouldn't format.

Jim Ussailis
jim at nationalwireless.com

ps Many years ago I saw a computer programmer put in a disk and type
"format C:" He became very upset afterward.