[Hidden-tech] very important info on tech and kids

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Fri Jan 26 17:32:18 EST 2007

Hi all,

Six Hidden-Techies met at Esselon Cafe at lunch today for a very
important and provocative discussion on technology and kids, which
was aided by Ed Watson of Westfield who does tech support and
development. Ed has offered to help any of us put parent blocking
technology on our systems, if needed.

Two key topics areas came out of the discussion of what our
collective kids -- ages 6 to 14 -- do on the Internet and what we
ALLOW them to do, versus what is there in the "wild west" of the Net
that we can't even control.

One was the technology of blocking and controlling access, the ways
kids access the net (from Ipods to other devices). The other was the
sociological issues that arise and our questions of how intrusive to
be. Luckily, we had a grad student from UMass sitting at the table
and he's offered to come out to other sessions.

None of us have a clue where any of this will go. We just know we
want to keep on meeting, talking and sharing information. If anyone
wants to connect to Ed, just email me directly at
az at a-zinternational.com. I'll post a new meeting time and date once
we sort that out so any newcomers can join in.

Please note that this is an ad hoc group of Hidden-Techies doing "our
thing," not a Hidden-Tech sanctioned anything. There is an upcoming
strategy session in February and anyone interested can propose
getting board backing for these meetings. Your choice. I'm just a
parent in need here.

Thanks to all who attended!

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech Founder