[Hidden-tech] Does this sound like a good computer deal?

Daniel Fried dan at creativeconstructs.com
Thu Jan 18 09:44:53 EST 2007

Jim,

Getting a bit off subject here, but there are a couple of issues I have with
your two points.

1.  Dual-core processors are not about "true multitasking" as you put it,
they are about running multi-thread applications more efficiently.  Not all
applications can make use of this capability well, but for those doing some
kinds of heavy processing work; dual-core can be a huge advantage.  Also, as
dual-core processors become more common, more software will be designed to
take advantage of this.  This does become a more "every-person" issue as the
OS becomes more multi-thread friendly.  A dual-core processor will not help
your web browser or word processor, but it will help Windows Vista (or OS X)
a lot.

2.  Comparing older computers with older software to current RAM standards
is not particularly useful.  While 64MB may be fine with your older system,
512MB is the realistic minimum for running Windows XP alone (all the eye
candy in the operating system isn't cheap).  1GB will help with the other
bloat-ware applications.  I generally do enough in Firefox that Firefox will
take up 200MB of RAM by itself.  Most of the Office XP apps that I am
running take about 30MB of RAM each, so having Firefox, Outlook and Word
open at the same time eats a huge chunk of available memory which doesn't
take into account Windows XP itself, IM, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam or any one of
a number of things that could be running (my system runs a web server and
remote database at startup).  Adding the extra 512MB of RAM will generally
be helpful to anyone running XP or newer operating systems.

-Dan