[Hidden-tech] eBay Newbie Questions

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Mon Jan 8 14:51:05 EST 2007

I uderstand the distinction. But I have been to 'live' auctions where the
auctioneer would say, "We'll starte the bidding at...$xx," and off it goes.
Even if several bids have been received, the auctioneer can pull an item if
a satisfactory bid was not made. This happened three times at the last
auction I attended. You cannot get away with this on eBay, assuming
"starting the bidding at" is the same as setting a Reserve.

I did not mean to say that the auctioneer did the deciding, but clearly
there were two different levels: starting level, and minimum acceptable
level, undoubtedly determined by the seller in advance. In eBay, aren't
these the same (i.e., the starting level is the reserve is the minimum
acceptable bid? And if someone makes a bid on the Reserve amount, the item
must be sold?)?

So, the auction might be "seriously flawed" from the eBay model, but my
experience is what it is.

There was a fellow out here in Pittsfield who was looking into 'live'
auctions on the Web, a few years back. I wonder if you were talking to the
same guy...

Ed