[Hidden-tech] Re: ? about self-promo

Mitch Anthony mitch at element22.com
Wed Jan 3 00:00:15 EST 2007

Thank you Amy, for everything.

And let me use your question to raise a larger one:

What is this - wide open access to the most creative minds in the
valley - worth to me?

EVERY time I've posted to this list - no matter how arcane or
sophisticated the need - I've found an answer within the day. (The
first time I posted - looking for a web programmer to meet some
pretty demanding requirements - I noticed that the respondent was
from Greenfield.  I live in Greenfield. In the ensuing e-mail
exchange I suggested that I stop by at the end of the day and share a
creative brief and a site map. When I got to his house I realized
that I could see my house from his front yard. Hello.)

In answer to your question, no, I wouldn't pay for my own promotional
page. Because I don't think that's the best way to promote services
like those we offer. Nor do I think that we are each other's
audience. Paid pages are paid pages and they look like paid pages.

However, referral and reference is the heart of a network. And with a
bit of finesse this list-serve of mouthy individuals (I'm guilty) can
easily be turned into a true network of referring professionals.

And I sure would pay to be a member of that group. (Even though I get
it now for free.)

And I sure will pay for the privilege to ask the most creative minds
in the valley their opinion on what I'm wondering/thinking/needing
about. (BTW, Cingular is the way to go in this hilly valley. They
grew out of a network of small rural carriers, so they tend to own
the steeple tops and radio beacons it takes to beam straight in this
up and down terrain - my opinion.)

I propose it's time to create a tiered dues structure, with
appropriate allowances for those who can't yet pay full price.

This is Western Freaking Mass.  Let's act like we get it.

Mitch Anthony

P.S.  I second Tom Adam's suggestion.  I sometimes resist asking a
question I know the group knows the answer to, only because I also
know the same topic was covered 3 months prior... but in that time
I've lost the thread.

Another reason for dues: paid librarians.