[Hidden-tech] Financial Planner

Bruce G. Hooke bghooke at att.net
Thu Jan 25 18:25:27 EST 2007

Susan, et al,

I don't have much to add to Jackie's excellent comments, but the
following.

I ran internship programs for about a dozen years. The candidates ran
the gamut from creatives to technologists. They came from all across
the country and the world. The one thing that was consistently useful
was to have fun. The folks that you'll be talking to will no doubt be
young, eager to please, somewhat clueless about the workplace and
being part of a team. Give yourself and the candidate time in the
interview to let things flow, let the candidate reveal her
personality and interests.

Stay away from questions that might fall afoul of things like the ADD
and discrimination laws. The candidate will tend to volunteer that
info, anyhow.

If you feel good about the candidate, trust your instincts, but
remember that you are an employer, not a parent to that kid.

Ask them to interrogate you.; challenge them in that way. The
questions that they ask will be very telling about their interests
and aptitudes, but you have to be ready to think on your feet and
exploit opportunities to learn about somebody that you might be
working closely with in a pretty short time.

So, bottom line, have fun and listen. You have a business to run, to
be sure. Yet, you've probably got an eager but unexperienced person
sitting with you in that interview. Use that time for all it's worth.

Steven Solomon
Writer, Inventor, Near Futurist
ssol at interactiveguild.com
http://www.interactiveguild.com
413.537.4536

In The Maze of a Networked World, We Help You See Around Corners.