[Hidden-tech] Bradley Airport long-term parking

dschein at fsinnovations.net dschein at fsinnovations.net
Tue Jan 23 15:39:13 EST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Garth wrote:

> In an effort to not reinvent the wheel, I will just point out that
> Yahoo
> Groups similar to that.  All the FreeCycle Groups run that way.  You
> can opt
> to receive individual messages, digest messages, or only read on the
> website.  Messages are auto-archived on the website and quite
> searchable.

I would be disappointed if HT moved to a Yahoo Group.  Yahoo's email
messages contain advertising, and are much larger in size than they
should be.  And the worst part of it is that you have to have a YahooID
in order to read the archives, etc.  Not everyone out there has or
wants a Yahoo account.

Mailman (the software that is currently running this list) is a great
piece of software.  I agree that it is currently lacking a forums
interface, but that is about it.  Creating searchable archives is quite
easy.  I believe that Mailman offers everything we need.

On Jan 23, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Jason Turcotte wrote:

> I've requested the RSS feature a couple of times, so my opinion is
> biased,
> but RSS is not the "scary monster" that it used to be.  Google's
> personalized homepage makes it very easy to add RSS feeds to your
> homepage
> as just one example.  If each email that was sent on the list had the
> subscribe link in it, then it would be as simple as installing an RSS
> reader
> (free) on your computer.

There are a couple of Email-to-RSS sites out there.  I have been using
MailBucket recently for my FreeCycle subscription:

http://www.mailbucket.org/

(If someone sets this up a MailBucket subscription, I suggest letting
everyone else know about the feed so we don't have to have more than
one subscription going to the site.  Let's save some electrons.)
MailBucket does not handle threading, however.

While I'm at it, I'll put in another vote for just keeping the list the
way it is (sans Dobby blurb).  I use my delete key quite freely, but I
like the freedom to discuss a wide range of topics.

-Seth