[Hidden-tech] Printing a folder directory

Don Lesser dlesser at ptraining.com
Mon Apr 2 09:33:30 EDT 2007

I do it all the time. You need to remember DOS-getting a file list and
renaming a folder full at one time are still vastly easier in DOS than
Windows.

1.	Run a command prompt, by using the Run command to run CMD.
2.	Next you'll have to CD to the folder you want. This is trickier
since My Documents is not where it appears in Windows Explorer. Typically,
the command to cd to your My Documents is:

cd C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My documents

where [username] is the name you log on with.

3.	type the command to list all files in the directory in order, by
extension and then by name and to put this list into a file. I typically use
LIST.TXT but use whatever you like:

dir *.* /oen > list.txt

4.	Close the Command window or type EXIT.
5.	You can open this list in Notepad, Word, or Excel. If you open it in
Excel, use the Text Import Wizard to import beginning at the 6th line and
with little effort you can get everything in column. Alternately, bring it
into Word and use ALT+Drag (hold down the ALT key first) to select a column
of text (nifty!) and copy and paste the names into another file.

The hardest part will be getting to your folder, but if you use Windows
Explorer to find it, you can copy the entire path, switch to Command, use
the icon at the left of the title bar to select Edit | Paste and paste it
into the command prompt.

Don Lesser

Pioneer Training, Inc.

14 Bobala Road