[Hidden-tech] Printing a folder directory

Victor Danilchenko danilche at cs.umass.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:51:59 EDT 2007

Rich wrote:
>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.

> This is one of those perpetual gaps that I continue to be amazed the OS
> developers at MS and Apple continue to
> miss .  You can find a number of tools on Tucows.com for windows.
>
> Since the Mac (OS-X) is basically a unix system - you can always drop to
> the shell level and use 'ls',
> my closest Mac system is on the road today so can't give exact procedure
> until later - any Mac OS-X
> guru's care to do that now ?

	You fire up Terminal.app, and then do 'ls -1 <directory name>' (that's
the number '1', not lowercase L) in order to get a nice one-per-line
list of filenames. If the list is too long to fit on a terminal, do this:

ls -1 ~/"somedirectory" > ~/Desktop/files.txt

	This will put the file list into a file on your desktop named
'files.txt'. '~' means your home directory; so, for example, you to get
a listing of the directory 'Customers List' in your Documents folder,
you would  do:

ls -1 ~/"Documents/Customers List" > ~/Desktop/files.txt

	The quotes are only needed if your directory name contains certain
characters, like a blank space. Otherwise, you don't have to use them.

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Students nowadays, complaining they only get |
| danilche at cs.umass.edu | 10MBs of disk space! In my day we were lucky |