[Hidden-tech] Freeware [was: Video editing software?]

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Thu Sep 21 15:32:50 EDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 10:46:03PM -0400, DAVID F. FARKAS wrote:

> I know how to do basic stuff like this with audio. Can it be done on
> video, especially with freeware of some sort?

At the risk of coming across as preachy and pendantic, I wanted to
draw a distinction between the terms freeware and Free Software.

Freeware is software that does not give you access to the source code,
and only allows you to download the executable.  After which it turns
into nagware or expireware.

Free Software is software licensed as "share and share alike." More
specifically, you have the right to read the source code, modify the
source code and redistribute the source code.  It is free as in "free
speech"--in French, the term is libre as opposed to gratis.

Free Software is rooted in the philosophical ideal that by sharing
information, society improves at a greater rate than by witholding
information.  It is this ideal that originally motivated programmers
to share their work with others.

I could go on, say about ...

    - % of Dell servers sold that ship with Free Software
      installed,

    - the IT that Crocker, TnR, Jagfly and GAIA Host build their
      business on (including the software running this list),

    - the gross revenues at RedHat (the leading Free Software
      vendor),

    - the technology that youtube, Amazon, Google and Yahoo
      choose to build their business on,

    - the original intent of the state-sponsored and
      state-enforced monopoly that is copyright,

    - our broken patent system, and

    - the USA's attitude toward European intellectual property
      during our industrial revolution (and China's attitude
      now!)

... but I'll spare you.  :)

Regards,