[Hidden-tech] Seeking Program/Product Management position

Mary Malmros malmros at verizon.net
Mon Sep 18 15:01:19 EDT 2006

Peter Degen-Portnoy wrote:
>    ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group, you must be counted to post .
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.

> Hi Marcia,
>
> Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.
>
> I always devote myself 100% to the efforts I accept.  In seeking a
> full-time, high-level position, I am looking to contribute significantly
> to my employers bottom line.  In the past, I have generated value to my
> employer in excess of 40X my salary.
>
> My long-term plans are to make my company successful, but there is no
> time line set for this.  Right now I need to balance the immediate and
> long-term needs.  Operating at a senior level best leverages by ability
> to bring tremendous value to a company and, ironically, best meets my
> immediate and long-term needs.
>
> I hope that helps to clarify my request.

Honestly?  It read like formulaic interview-spew to me.  If I were
looking for a program/product manager, and I'd read your original
message, I too would be concerned about your level of commitment, and no
amount of interview-talk would dissuade me.

But it may have been a mis-phrasing on your part.  You said, "accepting
a position with a company as [a product/program manager] would fulfill
the funding needs and actually allow more time to continue developing my
company."  I think a lot hinges on what your "funding needs" are and
what "continue developing" means.  If you were planning to put your
company on the back burner for now -- that is, not be actively doing
business -- while you saved money so you'd have a cash cushion for down
the road, when you wanted to run your own business full time, and at the
same time develop your business plan/services concept in your spare time
as you work at a full-time job, I think that's great.  That's how
companies get started.  If, on the other hand, you were planning to keep
running your company, actively spending money and seeking work...yeah,
I'd be very concerned about that if I were hiring you.  Product manager
is a full-time job and then some; I do it and manage to keep the lawn
mowed and have some hobbies, but running a business on the side would be
a bad idea.

Mary Malmros						malmros at verizon.net
      Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.