[Hidden-tech] Laptop advice wanted

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Fri Sep 15 10:19:32 EDT 2006

I am looking to buy a laptop. For $600, I can get a pretty basic Dell
Latitude D520--not their rock bottom price, but seems to be a
significantly better machine than the Inspiron 1300, except that the
$39 option of a DVD burner isn't there. However, we recently bought
my daughter a Mac iBook with the burner, so I can always send her
files and let her burn them.

For$1049 I can get a far more powerful Mac iBook, which I will like
better (running a Mac since 1984) and which would allow me to do
audio editing with built-in software. But I know there are freeware
sound editors available for PC, so this is not a big factor.

By far the dominant uses of the machine will be to write from remote
locations and to cruise the Web. There will be some limited
situations where portability is a factor (one of the reasons I don't
want the Inspiron--it's almost 8 lbs!). I'm very spoiled about
portability,a s I'v been using a handspring visor with fold-out
keyboard, total weight under 1 pound. I love it but mine is worn out
and they're not available anymore.

I would consider an AlphaSmart (2 lbs) but it doesn't look like
there's any way viable to get the Web.

The Dell is well-reviewed, but I guess I'm looking for any personal
experience that could help me make this decision.

Shel Horowitz, shel at frugalfun.com, 800-683-WORD/413-586-2388
News releases, web copy, brochures, newsletters, ad copy, resumes, etc.
Award-winning books on marketing, ethics, and entrepreneurship
http://www.frugalmarketing.com / http://www.principledprofit.com