[Hidden-tech] Fabulous Fair - Thanks to all!

A - Z International az at a-zinternational.com
Wed Oct 25 09:18:38 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

What a scene last night at the UMass Fine Arts Center lobby!
Hidden-Techies mingling with UMass students, faculty and
administrators as the sunset lit up the surrounding trees and pond
outside the glass doors.

If I'm waxing a bit poetic it's because this was really a glowing
moment for all of us. UMass is one of our regional treasures and one
of the largest employers in Hampshire County. Students are a
tremendous resource for Hidden-Techies. It's thanks to student labor,
in part, that we had a fair last night. So hat's off to Greg Heinz,
one of our new student interns.

Faculty are another resource. Because of Craig Nicholson, chair of
the IT Program -- which promotes IT to non-IT minors in 40 UMass
departments -- we had a fair and we had students, faculty and
administrators backing it. Some faculty who showed up included:

* Glenn Caffery, chair of the Information Technology Task Force;

* Mark Hamin, chair of the Regional Planning/Economic Development
portion of the Department of Landscape Architecture;

* Ken Watts, Senior Software Engineer for a program called Research
in Presentation Production for Learning Electronically (Ripples),

* Charles Bagley, instructor, Financial Engineering, Finance and
Operations Management, UMass Isenberg School of Management (who
informed me he wanted his wife to join Hidden-Tech as she is founding
a business)

Administrators attended and were there doing the heavy lifting. They
included Tina Acker and Ginger Goldsberry of Career Services, plus
Marla Michels, who heads the Office of Research Liaison (formerly
industry liaison).

And we had larger companies like Court Square Data Group in
Springfield whose president, Keith Parent, was present for much of
the event and even paid for the food! Keith is chairman of the
Regional Technology Corporation board and hopes to work more closely
with Hidden-Tech in the future. (Hidden-Tech is an affiliate of RTC).

And, of course, at least 40 Hidden-Techies were present with 20
exhibiting. You all were terrific. Special thanks to Dan Fried and
Theresa Cleary who ably assisted at the door. I know from discussions
that ensued with UMass faculty and administrators that they were duly
impressed with you and your extraordinary accomplishments. How you
leverage the contacts you made last night is up to you. The
Hidden-Tech board will be working behind-the-scenes with faculty and
administrators in the months ahead to find many ways to connect us to
UMass, including the possibility of making a fair like this an annual event.

Thanks to all of you and especially to Craig, Tina and Ginger for
your hard work!

If you have ideas, please forward them to the list so the
PR/Programming committee can assess them.

best,

Amy Zuckerman
Hidden-Tech Founder, Clerk