[Hidden-tech] Please help--any network geeks out there? (X-Post)

Shel Horowitz shel at frugalfun.com
Fri Nov 17 16:15:45 EST 2006

It's been a few days of multiple yucky Internet problems and I am
hoping somebody out there can help me understand why this is
happening.

My configuration:

Main computer: iMac G4 running OS X 10.2.8, about four years old
Secondary computer: low-end HP PC running Windows XP Home, about two years old
Laptop: brand new Mac iBook running OS X 10.4 (Tiger), and prior to
that a five-year Mac laptop

The two desktop computers connect via Ethernet cables to a DLink DI
524 wireless router (about six months old) that is in turn cabled to
a Surfboard SB4100 cable modem, I think about four years old. The Mac
has a short cable because it's right next to the modem and router;
the PC is on the second floor and uses a cable maybe 20 feet long.

There are two major and one minor problems we've been having:

1. Internet access:
The router is refusing to provide access to the Internet. I can get
the Internet on the desktop Mac by unplugging it from the router and
plugging it into the cable modem directly--*most* of the time. But
it's having more and more frequent outages even that way, sometimes
requiring restarting not only the modem but the computer.

For the first time that I can remember (we've had similar problems
with routers and hubs before, have burned out several of them over
the years), we cannot get Internet access upstairs even by plugging
that cable directly into the modem.

The laptop can recognize the wireless network but cannot access the
Internet over it. I have not tried cabling it in directly or taking
it to an Internet cafe.

2. Spam deluge
Until the other day, I was getting 200-300 spams in my spamfilter
(Spamfire 1.0) per day, and rescuing about 10 percent. Not all were
spam, but many were messages I didn't need from certain groups I
belong to (e.g., the programmer list for the community radio station
where I have a show). This week, it's been 600-800 a day, and I'm
still rescuing about 20 out of all that. It is high enough volume
that after every 100-200 that I delete, I quit the program and load
it again so that if it crashes, all the junk I got rid of doesn't
come back.

The only thing that's changed in my setup is that I've stopped
aliasing and forwarding all my email to my ISP address (charter.net)
and am using the bluehost server on the Frugalfun account, inbound
and outbound, and I set up my wife's email to alias through the
Charter account here she has her own screen name. PrincipledProfit
email has for some time been using its own server for inbound and the
charter server for outbound.

3. Shopping cart confirmation messages and order info are disappearing.

I use two different copies of the no-cost verison of mal's shopping
cart. When I get a cc order, it goes through one cart, and generates
an email message to me. When I get a paypal order (or a cc order for
an ebook), it goes to a different cart, that is supposed to send me
both the shopping cart confirmation and another confirmation from
paypal. But all of a sudden, the cart confirmation is not arriving,
and several of the paypal confirmations have a total that is not
represented by the product shown (invariably, AFAIC remember, they
have been for my forthcoming Grassroots Marketing for Authors and
Publishers, which has its own order page--so maybe that's where the
problem is). When i contact the customer, I discover that they have
ordered other prducts that aren't showing in the confirmation but do
show in the total.

Also, a minor thing: the filter I ahve to mark these orders as
prioirty so I don't miss them still shows up in Eudora but hasn't
been working for a while.

I don't know if these problems have anything to do with each other,
but I'd be very grateful for any guidance.