[Hidden-tech] Email for kids

David Spound dspound at mac.com
Tue May 16 14:13:33 EDT 2006

I am seeking advice about *safe* email options for kids. My son (age 13) and
daughter (10) have been asking for their own email addresses. While I can
easily set them up under my own domain, I am concerned about spam and
safety.

For those of you with kids, what have you done about email?

Options I have considered include:
* Email accounts that I would occasionally monitor. Not because I want to
read messages from their friends, but because I want to be aware of what
they are receiving. My kids hate this idea and I'm not totally comfortable
with it either.

* Email programs that uses a ³white list² ‹ I would input addresses of
friends and family members and these would be the only people from whom my
kids could receive messages.

* A hosted service like Kid Safe Mail <http://www.kidsafemail.com>

Any suggestions would be welcome. Software recommendations would need to run
on Macintosh computers (OS X).

I want to trust and respect my kids AND keep them safe.

Thanks,

David

David Spound, M.Ed.

Valley Mindfulness
Meditation and Stress Reduction: Workshops, Classes and Coaching

(413) 219-0654
david at valleymindfulness.com
http://www.valleymindfulness.com

Upcoming classes:
* A Taste of Mindfulness, Tuesday, May 23, 6:00 pm
* Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, June 20 ­ August 8 (Tuesday evenings)