[Hidden-tech] Biodiesel

Victor Danilchenko danilche at cs.umass.edu
Fri May 12 11:15:47 EDT 2006

Garth Shaneyfelt wrote:
>   ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group, you must be counted to post .
>   ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>

> At 04:19 PM 5/11/2006, Ben Liyanage wrote:
>>    ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group, you must be counted to post .
>>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>>

>> Does biodisel make less polution then disel, or gas?  What is the
>> price per
>> gallon also?
>
> regarding emissions, it's difficult to pin down exactly.  You do get
> more NOx, but it's definitely better than petro-diesel.
>
> In this forum,
> http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=463
> (and related links) seems to indicate that CO2, and hydrocarbon
> emissions are lower, NOx and particulate matter are higher.   You also
> get better mileage, so the amount of burning per miles you need to do
> are less.

	There is a very important point that is yet to be brought up. Biodiesel
is zero-carbon cycle -- any CO2 it emits, was the CO2 the plants has
absorbed from the air first; unlike fossil-diesel, which releases carbon
which had been sequestered by the plants hundreds of millions years ago.
So, *effectively*, the carbon emissions of biodiesel are zero.

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Of course my password is the same as    |
| danilche at cs.umass.edu | my pet's name. My macaw's name was      |