[Hidden-tech] Biodiesel

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Fri May 12 15:04:33 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:35:59AM -0400, mcm at mcmvoices.com wrote:
>    ** Be a Good Dobee and help the group, you must be counted to post .
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>

> Very interesting discussion.
>
> Biodiesel burns wicked clean.  Pricey though - $4.50/gallon.

hmmm, you shop in the wrong place.

i paid $2.89 - $3.10 at fleming's shell in bttlboro last yr.

> Used vegetable oil is free.  Disadvantages - you need to convert your
> engine, so as to be able to preheat the oil, compared with biodiesel where
> all you have to do to your diesel engine is replace fuel lines and gaskets.

only if you have an ancient diesel (pre-'78??)

my '98 jetta req'd no changes.

> The conversion kit is $800 - $1200, and if you have it installed that's
> another $600 - $800.  The other disadvantage is you have to compete with the
> biodiesel companies to stake out your source of used oil.

nah, most restaurants pay rendering co's to pick up used oil.  if
you prove reliable, they are happy to give it away for free.

> I love the idea of running on vegetable oil and plan to do it if I can ever
> find a used diesel car I can afford.  Even better would be a car that would
> run on garbage.  Probably wouldn't smell too good though.

did you see the slashdot post today?  ;)