[Hidden-tech] Ruby on Rails

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Mon Mar 27 09:10:04 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:59:09PM -0500, Fred wrote:

> Are any of you currently using 'Rails? If so, what has the learning
> curve been like, and what are your overall development & deployment
> experiences?

We're hosting a few ROR sites on GAIA. I've read a bit of the book, but
haven't written any code. Some of my thoughts:

- the design policy of creating reasonable defaults is great.

- if you name your table fields according the their rules (for example,
  the "id" field is always an auto-increment unique key) it is amazingly
  fast to get things up and running.  I believe this extends to
  inter-table relationships.

- The interpreter is, like Perl, a RAM pig. Unlike Perl, it doesn't
  really work as plain CGI.  You really need to keep it resident.

- Development mode leaks.  Don't run very long in this mode on
  your web host's server.  ;)  This is not a bug, apparantly it
  is by design.

- Runs well with fastcgi + lighttpd.  :)

- Hackers whose opinion I respect have nothing but good things to
  say about Ruby.

HTH,