[Hidden-tech] Seeking office space

David Mertz, Ph.D. mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Mar 27 00:58:22 EST 2006

I took a look at the office space Jill, Darren, and Paul are trying to
find folks for (below).  Unfortunately, after an initial "definite
yes", they reneged (or at least vacillated) after they got some more
calls about the notice, and probably saw the opportunity to try to bid
up the price a bit (Admonition: Don't do that!).

So despite the slight bad taste in my mouth, I realized after looking
at the space, that this is really exactly the sort of thing I could
benefit from.  I am an independent consultant who now works out of my
home office in Turners Falls.  For the most part, I am a writer, mostly
about technical sorts of things (not exactly "technical writing", it's
more in the computer science-ish direction than documentation per se);
but I've also increasingly been drawn into a number of quite
fascinating programming/consulting/software design type projects.  I'm
lucky enough to be a fairly big fish in the fairly small pond of my
particular areas of expertise, so it keeps me busy.

Nonetheless, I'm finding that the home office thing is becoming an
impediment for me.  I've been pretty successful with it for about seven
years, but it's becoming easier for me to procrastinate, and fidget,
and generally for my attention to drift from whatever project I really
want to be working on (not always paid projects--I do some feel-good
volunteer/political things too--but either way getting stuff done is
the goal).  I believe that a nice office space somewhere other than in
my home would be a great aid to concentration, and to putting in
billable hours and/or completing fixed-price projects.  As well, just
the physical ergonomics of an office better wired and with less clutter
from home-related objects would be mentally cleansing.

Ideal for me would be somewhere in Greenfield, or even in Turners
Falls.  Possibly somewhere a little bit farther out, but Amherst or
Northampton are more like a daily commute than a quick convenience.
Some sort of shared space would be really nice.  I'm unobtrusive,
well-behaved, and generally even tend to work at hours when most people
are asleep.  But a certain friendly collegiality would be nice.  Even
better would be someone with existing internet connections that I could
just chip in on rather than needing to arrange new service.  However, a
more separated space would still be useful for me to find.

Does anyone on the list know of any opportunities along these lines.  I
know Greenfield has quite a bit of unoccupied office space; and I'm
sure I can locate something through newspaper classifieds and real
estate agents.  But finding something through more personal connections
like this list (though my acquaintance with most members is not great)
feels more homey to me.

All the best, David...
(email and 413-863-4552)