[Hidden-tech] Anyone in the area have equipment for measuring PC noise levels?

Michael McIntosh michael at esperdyne.com
Fri Mar 17 01:04:59 EST 2006

Hello Folks,

My current "desktop replacement" laptop that I use extensively for work
and occasionally for gaming generates a LOT of noise. The amount of
noise it generates is having a negative impact on the mental health of
both my wife and I since I work from home and the noise is a constant
irritation.

There is always a collective sigh of relief in our household when the
laptop is finally turned off. Unfortunately, being the techie that I am,
it doesn't get turned off too often.

I am currently investigating building a high-performance PC that runs
very quietly, preferably something that generates less than 25 dB of
noise from ~2 feet away.

I have found some articles that discuss how I can build a quiet desktop
PC (such as http://tinyurl.com/faota) or the differences between typical
noise levels (http://tinyurl.com/2q7vz).

For sake of comparison, I need to determine the amount of noise my
current laptop generates and I do not have the equipment to do so. I've
considered buying sound level measuring equipment for the task, but
realistically I'd only probably use it a couple times before it would be
shelved and begin to collect dust.

I suspect that my current system generates around 40 dB worth of noise
when "idle" and as much as 60 dB when running a modern computer game or
playing a DVD movie. If someone has or can direct me to someone who has
sound level measuring equipment that I could borrow, I'd greatly
appreciate it. Then I'd have a better idea of how much effort is needed
to restore peace and quiet to our home again. (er, 7 month old daughter
not withstanding) :)

Thank you for your time. :)

-Michael McIntosh

PS: My laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-K25. Its a nice machines that has a
beautiful display and works very well despite the noise/heat problems.