[Hidden-tech] Shout-out to local talent

Tish Grier tishgrier at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 09:51:24 EST 2006

wow! had I known I would have stayed an extra couple
of days for the music festival!

  I was at <a
href="http://2006.sxsw.com/interactive/">SXSWInteractive</a>
as a presenter on the <a
href="http://2006.sxsw.com/interactive/programming/panels/?action=show&id=IAP060019">Us/Them
A Blog Conversation Guide</a> panel. It was a great
honor to be selected to be on an SXSW panel!

(unfortunately, there were a few folks in the audience
who were message board administrators who wanted to
discuss conversation on message boards--message boards
and blogs have some distinct conversational
differences not just because the technology is
different but also because the communities that evolve
around blogs vs. message boards are different.)

SXSWInteractive is finally starting to post out all
the podcasts from the conference--right now, most of
the keynotes are up for a listen. There's lots of
stuff on design and entrempreneurship-- so, if you
have a chance, check out some of the podcasts.

Tish G.

   --- Mitch Anthony wrote: > ** Be a Good Dobee and
help the group, you must > be counted to post . > **
Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the > member's
area. > > > > Dearest Hidden-Techers - > > This week
the self-employed, creative community of > Western
Mass. is > being ably represented at one of the
country's most > august gatherings > of the music and
arts scene: South By Southwest. > Now in its 20th >
year, this annual gathering in Austin, TX celebrates >
what's new and > great in music, film and interactive
media. > > Please put your hands together for the
ambassadors > from our > incredible valley: > > Kris
Delmhorst, from my home of many years, > Greenfield >
"Kris Delmhorst’s songs roam from downtown edge to >
back-road roots, > and she sings them from where it
counts. She’s > quietly built a > devoted fan base
that packs houses throughout the > USA & UK. The >
fourth record, a collection of songs inspired by >
well-known poems, is > due out on Signature Sounds
June 2006. “The ambient > beauty of Margo > Timmins,
the country honesty of Lucinda Williams, > and the
airy > lightness of Emmylou Harris” (Boston Globe)" >
> Winterpills, from Northampton, the town that makes >
the rest of us hip > "Based in Northampton,
Massachusetts, Winterpills > play haunting, >
delicate, room-hushingly beautiful music with aching >
melodies and > acid lyrics. Think Elliott Smith,X,Iron
& Wine, and > the Innocence > Mission all get drunk
and fall asleep in Joni > Mitchell's backyard. >
"Achingly beautiful...," says The Washington Post >
about their self- > titled debut." > > BTW, Kris
Delmhorst and Winterpills are both on the > Signature
Sounds > label, another one of the valley's great
talents. > Discover this world- > class label at
http://www.signaturesounds.com/ > > Thurston Moore,
from Northampton > Thurston represents a new standard.
Major indie > cred (when was the > last time you
passed a magazine stand that didn't > feature Thurston
or > Kim?), a house one block from the new Smith art >
museum (with a > kitchen table that seats 20), a SoHo
studio, a > doted-on tweener > daughter, and friends
who really know and love him. > Move over, Ward. >
There's another tall guy in town. > > Sonya Kitchell,
from Ashfield > I remember Sonya singing "God Bless
the Child" in my > kitchen at the > age of 8. She went
on to be the first local ever to > play the Iron >
Horse and the second to be signed to the new >
Starbucks' "Hear" > label. This week her new single
was the #1 most > added single on AAA > radio. > >
Last summer she was playing some new songs in a >
friend's living > room. I couldn't recognize the
chords she was > playing. "Sonya, > where'd you learn
those chords?" Sonya: "I made > them up". > > It could
be a Western Mass. motto: "Reality? > That's easy. I
make > it up." > > Cheers to those who help make
Western Mass. the > paradise it really is. > > Mitch
Anthony > > > > > > > > > > > >
receiving this because you are on the > Hidden-Tech
Discussion list. > If you would like to change your
list preferences, > Go to the Members > page on the
Hidden Tech Web site. >
http://www.hidden-tech.net/members