[Hidden-tech] Registration before downloading a file

Daniel Fried dan at creativeconstructs.com
Fri Jun 23 07:55:13 EDT 2006

Anne,

There are a number of solutions to this problem, but for the most part they
involve some kind of web programming language.  These solutions are
relatively simple though, so as long as the server the site is being hosted
on has some kind of programming support, we could help you out.  The
question is what languages are supported and/or if you are willing to change
servers.

This doesn't solve the major piracy problem that I think will show up
though.   Once someone has downloaded the software, they can share it with
other people all they want without going through your registration form.  If
you want everyone using the software to have to register, that will have to
be built into the software itself.  There are some generic solutions
available (see http://sourceforge.net/projects/overcoat for an example), but
once again, that will depend a lot on what kind of program it is and how it
was written (Java, C++, Visual Basic, etc.).

Either way, I would be happy to help with the backend parts if a more
complex solution is required.  We are database programmers and do a lot of
subcontracting to other designers and developers.

-Dan Fried