[Hidden-tech] Re: Registration before downloading a file

Marcia Yudkin marcia at yudkin.com
Fri Jun 23 08:00:27 EDT 2006

> A client of mine offers some software that his site visitors can
download
> for free. Because of some piracy issues, he'd now like to require
> registration before users can download it. I thought about using a
form that
> redirects to the download page, but I'm concerned that potential
pirates
> will just pass around the URL of the download page itself.

Think about it:  Whatever remedy you set up, any shameless pirate will
just go ahead and comply with.  Why wouldn't they?  And in the
process, you set up obstacles for your legitimate customers.

Once you start worrying about pirates, you can never stop.  This is
not pleasant to know, but it's true all the same.

Marcia Yudkin
Mentor for Business Owners
Grow Your Business with the Marketing for More Seminar
Northampton, September 16-17:  2 openings left!
www.yudkin.com/seminars.htm