[Hidden-tech] best phone service?

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Thu Jan 19 14:49:00 EST 2006

Val Nelson wrote:

> Anyone have an opinion on Vonage and Comcast phone services as
> alternatives to Verizon? I've heard Vonage is unreliable at times and
> since Comcast is a similar system, I wonder if that will be true for
> them as well. They claim they don't have the same problems but I'd
> like to hear from users.

I have been using VoicePulse.com for about a year and haven't had any
problems, but I don't know if they have Massachusetts area code phone
numbers available.  One other important note is that some services do
not support 911 yet, but all are going to be required to do so in the
near future.  My cell phone has E-911 so I figured in an emergency, I
would just use the cell phone.

I chose VoicePulse because they have an add-on "open SIP" service, so
for example if you are using the hot spot at Panera, you could have a
software "SIP client" on your laptop and you would be able to route
phone calls to your laptop.  SIP is an open standard, so you can find
free client software for Windows, Linux, and Mac or you can get "pro"
software that has add-ons like CRM integration.

The key to having reliable, good quality broadband phone service in any
situation is to have a reliable internet connection, and a correctly
configured network.  Ideally, you want a broadband router that has
support for Quality of Service (QoS) or at least some kind of bandwidth
control for different services, or different physical connections to the
device.  That way, if someone is downloading a huge file while you are
talking on the phone, the phone call gets priority so the voice quality
is not affected.  I have a Linksys WRT54G with third-party firmware from
Sveasoft.com which adds QoS support.  There are probably more options
now for QoS, like the pre-packaged boxes you get for Vonage.  If in
doubt, I recommend getting a geek to help you set it up (although not
necessarily someone like Geek Squad, they might not have the necessary
network knowledge).

Jonathan