[Hidden-tech] best phone service?

Gyepi SAM gyepi-hidden-tec at praxis-sw.com
Thu Jan 19 13:56:14 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 07:15:23PM -0500, Val Nelson wrote:
> Anyone have an opinion on Vonage and Comcast phone services as alternatives
> to Verizon? I've heard Vonage is unreliable at times and since Comcast is a
> similar system, I wonder if that will be true for them as well. They claim
> they don't have the same problems but I'd like to hear from users.
>
> Thanks,
> Val Nelson

Hi Val,

I've used Vonage (with Comcast as ISP) for about a year now and they
have been quite reliable. I've twice lost dial tone and had to reset my phone
adapter after which all was well. I have four other friends in the area also
using Vonage and they've all been happy with it. I have no experience with
Comcast VOIP services, but I know they are more expensive than Vonage.

Despite the reliability I've experienced, it's important to remember that this
is an Internet based service and will *never* be as good as Verizon simply
because it depends on external electricity *and* external Internet access.
I recommend that anyone who uses VOIP also have a cell phone.

My total phone bill now, for Vonage and cell phone service is about the same
as my previous Verizon bill for "unlimited" local and long distance.

Poor Verizon: their services are heavily taxed, they're saddled with
high infrastructure costs, and and their consumers are price sensitive.
No wonder the upstarts are eating their lunch!

-Gyepi