[Hidden-tech] Goodmail spells doom for mailing lists?

Mark Bucciarelli mark at hubcapconsulting.com
Tue Feb 21 10:29:07 EST 2006

On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:58:48PM -0500, Andy Klapper wrote:

> I'm talking about something on the order of a $0.001 charge per email
> sent outside of an email system.

How do you verify who sent the email?

Are you going to require all domains to use SPF records? That's not a
bad idea ... but I'd like to see how you plan to implement it. I'll
save it for when I read the Sunday morning comics ... ;)

Or should we be charge my customers for each email they send? We already
do that. :)

And just as a point of reference, here are some two-month stats for one
of GAIA Host Collective's mail servers that give you an idea of the
problem scale.

 * 11 million rejected connections from blacklisted mailservers

 * 53,000 different mailservers have passed the grey list filter

 * 13,000 mailservers have not (but still may if they retry)

For the mailservers that successfully got through the first line of
defense:

 * 2.5 million emails

 * 1 million of these were identified as spam

 * 32,000 emails contained viruses.

And we are working hard on making this better as some customers have
requested we improve our spam filtering. I expect the real ratio should
probably be something like 2 or 3 spam to 1 ham.