[Hidden-tech] Music downloads

Ron Miller ronsmiller at comcast.net
Sun Dec 31 08:50:57 EST 2006

I want to make several points:

* There are many free downloads available on the Internet. This is not
stealing. The artists provide these songs for free for exposure. Whether
your kids who are looking for the latest and greatest would embrace this
depends on the child and what kinds of music they like.

* Casual copying is not the issue record companies make it to be. Out
and out pirating and reselling *is* an issue, but going after casual
copiers and mix makers just doesn't make sense.

Remember, that sheet music publishers screamed when records were
invented because the sheet music business would be suppressed, then the
record companies screamed when radio developed because after all who
would pay for a song, they could hear it for free. Last I heard the
record companies and radio stations were still making money.

The movie people screamed that when vhs tape and later DVDs developed,
nobody would go to the movies. Last time I checked the movie producers
were doing very well.

Every time there is a technology shift, the powers that be scream and
shout that they will be put out of business. Media companies have always
suffered from a failure of imagination and today is no different. By
embracing technology instead of fighting it, they have always found a
way to make (even more) money. Movie producers often make more money
from DVD sales, then they did from the original movie in the theaters.

* Cassette mixes are no different than CD mixes, quality aside, the
concept is *exactly* the same. Copying is copying is copying. In the 70s
when I was making copies of my friends albums on cassettes or making
favorites cassettes, I was doing the same thing people do with today's
technology. The Internet and computer make everything easier, but the
concept is no different. But when you look at the numbers that were
thrown around post-Frampton Comes Alive in the 70s, you know that the
records companies thrived. Technology did not kill the record companies
then and it has not hurt them today as much as they want you to believe.

* Finally, there are plenty of reasonably-priced legal outlets for
downloading popular music, especially a song at a time. Record companies
are finding once again that by embracing technology like iTunes and
Rhapsody, they will find new revenue streams. The more things change...

Ron