[Hidden-tech] Question about international travel

bkurdali at freefactory.org bkurdali at freefactory.org
Fri Dec 15 13:46:44 EST 2006

Quoting Jeff Rutherford <jeff at jeffrutherford.com>:

>    ** The author of this post was a Good Dobee.
>    ** You too can help the group
>    ** Fill out the survey/skills inventory in the member's area.
>    ** If you did, we all thank you.

1-check the power brick for your laptop first; chances are it accepts
voltages in the 110 to 220 or even 240 range at 50 to 60hz- if so ,
there is no frying risk. all you need is a converter to adapt the
physical shape of the plug. If it only accepts 110 (I've never seen
this) then you will probably fry the brick but not the laptop.
2-it varies, but I haven't had problems finding either wifi or a
computer with internet connection for pay use
3-cellphone might work (mine does) but roaming charges are exorbitant.
you're better off buying a prepaid fone there, or, if your cellphone
is/can be unlocked (I think your provider is required to unlock it)
and you have a tri or quad band phone, you can just buy a prepaid
simcard at the airport and use it there.