[Hidden-tech] Microwave Link

Gopal Narayanan gopastro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 10:17:24 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I am looking to see if there are local experts that could possibly bid
on trying to fix a microwave link. I would also appreciate it if you
could give me name/contact info for somebody you may know that has the
expertise, but may not read this list. Please also cc John Wielgus (cc'ed
here) on your replies. Thank you!

Here follows the problem. The Astronomy department at UMass, Amherst
has a microwave link from the campus to a radio observatory on the
north shores of the Quabbin Reservoir.  We have a 23 GHz microwave
link with a LAN interface and a voice/phone carrier.  The voice/phone
system is working but the link has failed as a LAN link.  Data is
corrupted.

M/A-Com (Microwave Radio Corp) components:
MA-23VX T1&LAN radios at either end w/ MR-MIU LAN interface units
(working on 2baseT)
MR-23CX Rx/Tx pairs at intermediate station. (Mt. Lincoln)

Problem:

Data packets are observed in the IFs and basebands everywhere in the
system, but the LAN digital components at either end are logging these
as error/corrupt packets.  Don't know how to analyze a packet in the
IFs or basebands to check packet integrity to find where
error/corruption is occuring.

All transmit frequencies are within spec in frequency and power.  IFs
are all on frequency.  Basebands appear okay, not perfect, but no
worse than previous functioning condition.  The voice/phone system is
working fine.  No noise, no static.

Trying, at very least, to isolate problem to a component within the
microwave analog system.

Thanks for any pointers!
Regards,
Gopal

--
Gopal Narayanan                            Ph #: (413) 545 0925
Research Assistant Professor               Fax#: (413) 545 4223
Department of Astronomy                    e-mail: gopal at astro.umass.edu
Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst MA 01003