[Hidden-tech] Backing up your work

Jim Ussailis ussailis at equinox.shaysnet.com
Wed Apr 26 11:43:12 EDT 2006

I have a "save" program that works, and costs nothing. If I have a file
named "Stufff.doc," then the next version is "Stuff1.doc." If this is
done every time a file is saved, it is easy to go back.

The big problem is when a hard drive crashes. Yes they do crash because
hard drives are not digital, but analog devices. The recording media is
tape recorder material placed on a circular disk, with a almost
stationary head placed a few millionths of an inch above the 7200 RPM
spinning disk.

So I back-up each file at the end of a session on a good old fashioned
floppy. But, those fail, so I back-up semi important files on two
floppies, and also on a Zip drive.

Years ago I learned (the hard way) to not trust back-up on two media that
insert into the same drive.

Chapters of books, tax records, and the like are also backed-up on paper.
I do that because media changes so fast.

I consider anything less risky.

Jim U.

jim at national-wireless.com