[Hidden-tech] Backing up your work

Jan Werner jwerner at jwdp.com
Tue Apr 25 18:36:33 EDT 2006

This seems to have sparked a lot of discussion, so here is an expanded
version of some comments I had sent directly to Amy.

1) Saving is NOT the same as backing up. If you want to keep your work
safe, you must back it up to a different file than the working file.
Most programs overwrite the working file when saving, so earlier
versions are normally permanently destroyed each time you save.

2) In Microsoft Word, you can set an option (Tools/Options/Save) to make
a backup copy each time you save the file. This keeps the second most
recent version of the file as a copy (deleting the previous one). Most
text editors provide a similar capability, although very few enable it
by default.

3) There are many automatic backup programs (GoBack, Autosave, Second
Copy, etc.) that will copy changed files to a different location or
device while you work on a preset schedule. These can cause problems
because of conflicts with the way some programs use disk work areas, so
check thoroughly before installing one of them.

4) Undelete (http://www.undelete.com -$40) is a program that greatly
expands the capabilities of the Windows Recycle Bin and allows you to
save multiple versions of selected document types instead of letting the
originating program overwrite them when saving. I personally consider
Undelete to be a critical investment for anyone who writes on their
Windows computer.

---

Aside from that, if your computer hard disk contains your livelihood, it
is suicidal not to plan a backup strategy BEFORE you need it. My first
choice for most Windows users is Acronis True Image ($50), which offers
the flexibility of both disk/partition imaging and file by file backups,
with individual file recovery from both types. It also allows you to
create bootable emergency recovery media which support virtually any
kind of external storage media, local or networked, and is easy enough
for even complete novices to use.

Jan Werner