[Hidden-tech] Transporting large files

B. Kimo Lee bklee at azurelink.com
Sat Apr 1 07:50:01 EST 2006

Hi Ann,

Welcome. I use Fetch from http://fetchsoftworks.com/. It's only $25
and is a great FTP app. After it downloads, OSX will expand the dmg
file and mount the disc image of the installer. Just drag the Fetch
app into your applications folder and launch it!
Take a look at the ReadMe file. If you want, you can get the Help
file in PDF format from http://fetchsoftworks.com/FetchHelp.pdf
It also runs from within the app.
As far as ftp is concerned, you'll need to arrange for ftp accounts
at your various service bureaus or print shops. They'll give you the
necessary settings for your Fetch shortcuts. This is usually the IP
address of their server, your Username and Password, and sometimes a
path setting to a specific folder on the server, though often you can
leave that blank and the server will direct you there by default.

To set up a shortcut in Fetch--after launching the app--click on
Customize/New Shortcut and enter the settings you were given, give
the shortcut a name, and save the shortcut. From that point on, each
time you launch Fetch a dialog box will open asking for you to choose
a shortcut to connect to. Or you can choose File/Open Shortcut and
pick one.

Pretty simple. If you run into trouble, give a holler.

Best,
Kimo

On Mar 28, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Ann Chiara wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am a graphic designer and production artist, new to Hidden-Tech
> and trying to make a go of freelance. I would like to learn about
> transporting large files via FTP. Can anyone out there give me some
> direction as to how it works and what I would need to do to set it
> up on my Mac?
>
> Thanks very much for any feedback,
>
> Ann
>
> _____________
>

> Ann W. Chiara
> ClearDesign Graphics
> (413) 584-7238

AZURELINK  ::  "Simply Connected!"
Web Site Design & Scalable Managed Web Hosting
Custom Web Applications Development
Including eCommerce Systems
58 Cottage St, Suite 1
Amherst, MA 01002-2125
Telephone: (800) 549-2060 / (413) 549-2020
Fax Phone: (413) 825-8344
For more information, visit:  www.azurelink.net