[Hidden-tech] Verizon cell phones

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Wed Sep 7 16:53:46 EDT 2005

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone for your suggestion.  I think that most likely I am
going to go with the Samsung SCH-a650, which seems to be a solid phone
that works well as a phone without a lot of fancy features.  I think the
availability of Trimode is likely to be the key to getting better
reception.  I found this website, which actually has some helpful reviews:

http://www.phonescoop.com/

I currently have a Treo 600 for about 6 months now, which is an all
digital dual mode CDMA device, at least on Verizon.  From the reviews,
it seems people have better luck with the Treo 600 on Sprint, assuming
they have good Sprint coverage in their area.

I think lack of analog support and the compact design of the antenna,
which is not extendable, may be issues.  I got the Treo 600 due to the
availability of an SSH client (TuSSH, Tungsten SSH client) but the poor
reception has been a bigger issue--believe me, I have tried *228,
upgraded the firmware, got a replacement device, I have already spent
many hours troubleshooting this device, I need something that is just
going to work without having to play around with it.

The battery is always getting drained quickly by the phone dropping and
then searching for signal, in fact right now the battery is completely
drained.  I have been sitting across the table from people who are
talking on their Verizon cell phones while my Treo goes "boop...boop"
dropping and searching for signal.  It's inconvenient if not a bit
embarrassing having to run outside the building in order to accept cell
calls, or have customers complain to me that they have not been able to
reach me.

Best,
Jonathan