[Hidden-tech] Looking for internet technician

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Tue Sep 6 10:49:39 EDT 2005

There are a few other options that might be worth considering, but are
limited to around 10-14 Mb/s--for sharing an internet connection, that
is probably adequate given the internet connection is going to be a much
smaller bottleneck than the device, but if you are doing streaming media
or heavy duty filesharing between the machines, that might not cut it.

Wall-Plugged ethernet bridge eg. Netgear XE102, only up to 14 Mb/s
though (I am definitely not endorsing Netgear per se, just knew that
they make such a device, there are probably others):

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/XE102.php

If the two end points are on different branch circuits and/or different
phases, I think that will probably be an issue since the signal might
not travel well through the electrical panel--something I have
encountered with X10 protocol "home automation" equipment.

Wall-plugged wireless range extender--this one is 54 Mb/s to the box,
but I'm not convinced it really does 54 Mb/s over the powerline itself:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGX102.php

If your house has existing coax that is not used, you can get 10 Mb/s
ethernet "baluns" (these actually run 10baseT and not 10base2 aka
Thinnet even though it is a coax media):

http://www.etslan.com/ethernet.php

With some wireless access points, it is possible to disconnect the
antenna and hook up an "antenna extension cable" and put the antenna on
the end of that, typically 10' or 30'.  I don't know if the AirPort has
that capability.  Why would you want to do that vs. just running CAT5
for example?  It might be an easier cable run to stick an antenna
somewhere vs. trying to get CAT5 to a good location for a jack.

Lastly, another tool that might be useful for the "bag of tricks" is a
wireless bridge--this acts as a client to connect to a wireless access
point.  For example, you could put the "bridge" within range of the
airport, but somewhere that you could make an easy CAT5 cable run to
another floor of the house.  I have one of these at home that I use on
my laptop--more expensive than a wireless ethernet card, but it's
external, so you don't have any driver issues--I got mine on sale at
Compusa for about $80 vs. the MSRP of $110.  FWIW this appears to be an
embedded Linux device :)

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=154416

Jonathan