[Hidden-tech] survey phishing attack warning

Kathy Reinig Kathy.Reinig at KJReinig.com
Fri Nov 4 10:35:09 EST 2005

As a survey researcher and on-line purchaser, I want to warn people
about what seems to me a highly believable new phishing scheme.  The
email claims (as all do) to be from a reputable company and they want
an on-line survey filled out and offer an incentive for participation.

I received one just now that claimed to be from eBay.  Not being an
eBay customer, I always send such notes to their spoof address.  They
are very good at responding back and confirmed that it was *not* from
them.  Beyond not being a customer, I was also tipped off by an offer
of $20 to complete the survey - which in cash is a far greater
incentive than is common but implies to me that the spoofer was going
to be drawing from PayPal accounts.

An earlier one that almost took me in was from a company I do order
from every few months.  I have not confirmed that one was also spoof
but now assume so.  It offered $ off of purchase for participating in a
review of a new site which seemed reasonable since that would be the
equivalent of a normal sale price.  What saved me was the order page to
get the discount wasn't verifiable as the company's by my web browser.
I actually wrote them a complaint about that.  Makes me feel foolish
now - and wonder how such verification is done and how easily it can be
faked.

So, while there are many legitimate web surveys, do take care and check
the veracity of the offer before placing an order or otherwise signing
up for an incentive which involves giving out information.  I've only
seen the two to date, but this looks like something that could be very
expensive for people.

[I've reported this to the Boston NBC affiliate and hope other news
agencies will be contacted as well.  In my opinion this story needs
telling.]

Kathy

KJ Reinig Associates
quantitative research analysts