[Hidden-tech] Windows security (sic)

Jonathan Dill jfdill at jfdill.com
Tue May 31 23:53:28 EDT 2005

There have been some very interesting discussions and tangents to my
original message.  Granted, some Windows users can manage to keep their
computers virus free without the use of anti-virus software.  If you
want to be the "anti-virus software" for your computer, that is your
choice.  However, for the vast majority of Windows users, I think that
it would be irresponsible to recommend not-having anti-virus software.
Given that viruses, and especially e-mail worms, are "engineered" to
trick you to install them, add to that multi-tasking and handling large
numbers of e-mail messages, odds are that, sooner or later, the average
person is going to screw up.  Plus thinking of some of the clients that
I have had, they would probably be "too busy" and limp along with the
computer spewing out worms for days or even weeks, or until the computer
crashes completely, until they call someone to come clean it up.

Jonathan