[Hidden-tech] Database Assistance !!!!

David Schein dschein at fsinnovations.net
Fri May 27 10:11:30 EDT 2005

It sounds like your primary need is authentication along with some wiki
or blogging functionality.

Authentication decisions involve the level of security you need, the
type of information being secured, available technology, etc.   If
simple HTTP authentication is adequate and your
web app is running under Apache, you can use Apache's built-in
authentication for directory-by-directory access with user info stored
in a simple text file.

Depending on the nature of your data, you may need encryption, SSL, ip
restrictions, or a lead vault.

If the site is being hosted, find out what tools are available. Most web
hosts use Apache with Perl, PHP, and MySQL frequently installed.  These
host often provide some authentication services.

If you want a wiki and PHP is an option, check out http://www.pmwiki.org/.

If you are hosting the site locally, then the world is your oyster.

These links are from the first page of google results for "web
authentication":
http://www.unixpapa.com/auth/
http://cookies.lcs.mit.edu/pubs/webauth:tr.pdf&e=10313
http://baruch.ev-en.org/writings/WebAuthentication.html