[Hidden-tech] Why am I losing internet connection frequently?

Jim Ussailis ussailis at equinox.shaysnet.com
Mon Mar 28 22:06:43 EST 2005

Sounds to me like there are some wireless issues. Two items come to mind:

1. Multipath. The wireless signal usually takes several paths from point
A to point B. These paths may be direct, or reflected of most any
surfaces. The reflection surfaces do not have to be metal, but metal does
offer the best reflection.

What happens is the main signal and a reflected signal can be
"out-of-phase" with each other. In layman's terms, the signals cancel, so
there
is no signal. Now there is a whole level of this interference from very
little signal reduction to complete cancellation.

Ever hear a distorted signal on the car radio when stopping at a light?
and ever notice by moving the car a wee the distortion goes away? The
distortion is actually a weak signal, which is generated by the
combination of the main signal from the transmitter and a reflected
signal. Multipath.

2. Microwave oven

The band that most of this wireless computer stuff is in is the "Garbage
band" which includes microwave ovens. Microwave ovens leak a small amount
of signal. That small amount is large compared to the sensitivity of a
wireless router. So, try an experiment. Turn on the microwave & check
connectivity. Use high power on the microwave and DO NOT FORGET to be
heating something. A glass of water will do just fine. I have seen the
aftermath of running an empty microwave oven. A complete meltdown & fire.

There are lots of other gadgets that use the band. Remember that other
wireless routers do also. There are very few frequency slots for them...I
believe 3 or 5 in the whole band.

A way out of this interference problem is to use a router that ONLY does
802.11a. That uses a completly different band. CAUTION both 802.11b and
802.11g use the garbage band.

Jim Ussailis

jim at nationalwireless.com