[Hidden-tech] Health insurance - HSA experience?

Jim Ussailis ussailis at equinox.shaysnet.com
Wed Mar 2 11:13:06 EST 2005

I had a $1K deductable plan for several "lean" years, and had to figure
out ways to lower health costs. Actually my plan was two plans. The first
had a $25K deductable. It was inexpensive. The second was a "supplemental
plan" that covered from $1K to $25K. That deductable was per person.

Some comments on health care.

1. I thought the way the plans worked was you went and arrainged with the
investment firm first, then got a high deductable plan. I have never seen
those plans offered by the HMOs and health ins cos, but have often seen
them offered by trade associations, like the IEEE and Am Geophysical
Union. My plan was thru the IEEE.

2. Medical costs, doctors:

A way to save there is to ask for a discount. They can only say "no." But
if you offer cash, or check, they are more often than not to accecpt. To
this day, I get a "professional discount" at a dentists office.

The reason is they get instant cash, and the full amount. Don't you think
that Blue Cross doesn't demand a discount, and isn't a slow-pay? You
betcha they are.

Furthermore, there isn't the paperwork with cash or check. What do you
think all those folks behind the counter are for? To look busy? Heck no,
they are tracking paperwork to get paid by "insurance."

The docs are not doing you any favors here. By offering cash or check, you
should get the discount that the HMOs get and a small share of paperwork
savings.

3. Medical costs, drugs:

Think three words "Costco, Costco, Costco." When I was taking Atenolol it
cost $79.95 / 100 at Brooks. I asked at CVS, the same price. I
became suspect when the pharm at Brooks said he was selling me the pills
"below cost." No one can stay in business doing that.

So I went to Bran-Winn (now bought out by Brooks). Price $17/ 100. Then I
went to Costco. $ 22 / 300. No that's not a typo. They were so cheap I
started buyting them by 300.

I've checked other durgs. Nowhere the drastic cut at Costco, but always a
good saving over the big guys. I have even found Serio's in N'Hamp to be
significently less expensive than the big "discount" drug stores.

Consumer's Reports had an article on this and said that Costco had very
good prices

I don't have much experience with drugs at Wal-Mart, but now I call
around for a price.

Jim Ussailis

jim at nationalwireless.com