[Hidden-tech] Truckload of Macs available for non-profit

Will Loving will at lovingcomputing.com
Thu Jun 30 19:20:36 EDT 2005

As some of you know I've been working with World Computer Exchange to
coordinate Macintosh donations to Zambia (aka the "MacZambia" project).

For various reasons we have around 20 palettes of computers and monitors
available for any non-profit organization willing to pay the storage fees
(currently $1320) and transportation. The storage facility in Baltimore has
the ability to load tractor trailers or cargo containers, so if desired, the
machines could be loaded directly into a container and trucked or shipped
anywhere. All these computers have come from a single large public school
system and I would expect them to be almost identical in configuration,
making maintenance much easier.

The organization accepting these machines must take everything, we will not
split up the load. There are (I believe) between 15 and 25 computers per
pallet depending on the size of the model. A 40-foot cargo container can
hold approximately 20 pallets and often organization stuff bags of clothing
atop the computer pallets when shipping to Africa. For reference purposes,
it cost about $11,000 to ship a cargo container with 400+ computers to
Zambia, depending on the actual weight. You could of course have the
equipment trucked somewhere in the US for much less.

Here is an unverified list of what is available. The equipment is available
immediately.

    €     5 pallets - 5400/5500
    €     4 pallets - 5200/5260
    €     5 pallets - Mac Monitors
    €     2 pallets - G3 All-In-One
    €     2 pallets - iMacs

If we are unable to find a recipient soon, we¹ll be forced to find a
liquidator. I¹d much rather see it go somewhere where it would be
appreciated.

Will Loving  413-253-7223