[Hidden-tech] REMINDER: Sprawl in the Valley Event THIS THURSDAY!

Aron Goldman goldman at policydevelopment.org
Tue Jun 28 15:23:41 EDT 2005

Wow. I guess this issue is important. Response has been overwhelming.
So much so that we've had to move the event across the street to the
UPSTAIRS area of the Amherst Brewing Company. We've even had an
unsolicited offer to pay for the event! And we've added a fifth
speaker: Mary Scipioni: professional planner and member of the
Amherst Planning Board:
http://www.amherstma.gov/departments/Planning_Board/default.asp?
id=43&mypage=43&myName=Planning+Board

If you would like to attend, please send me an email immediately
(with affiliation if applicable). If you have already RSVP-ed, don't
worry, you are on the list.

I have pasted an updated version of the original invitation below,
and I can't wait to see everyone there.

Aron
---
Aron P. Goldman
Policy Development
www.policydevelopment.org
www.socialedge.org/policy
413 549 1193 Tel
413 549 1194 Fax
413 218 7865 Cell

--------------------------

Do you already consider Rt. 9 a traffic-choked eye sore? Well, just
wait. Here comes Lowe's, Home Depot, and a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

THE EVENT

Sprawl in the Pioneer Valley will be the topic for the next meeting
of the Monkey People. A distinguished panel of presenters (see below)
will kick off a moderated discussion on the many implications--
positive AND negative--of big box stores in the Valley. We will try
to cover a wide range of implications, including: quality of life,
economic development, environmental impact, domestic and foreign
labor issues, and corporate social responsibility.

WHEN & WHERE

Thursday, June 30th, 6:30 pm in the UPSTAIRS area of the Amherst
Brewing Company, right downtown at 24 North Pleasant St.
(Complementary appetizers and cash bar.)

SPECIAL GUEST PRESENTERS (3 minute presentations, then discussion)

- Dean Cycon, Dean's Beans, www.deansbeans.com
- Baer Terckel, PeopleSoft Founder and Social Entrepreneur,
www.sweetmojo.com
- Al Norman, Sprawl-Busters, www.sprawl-busters.com
- Daniel Viederman, Executive Director, Verite, www.verite.org
- Mary Scipioni: Amherst Planning Board, www.amherstma.gov/
committees.asp

OUR COMMITMENT

While many of us are deeply troubled by what we see happening to our
lovely Valley, rest assured that this will NOT be an overbearing rant
fest. We are a diverse and eclectic group with an interest in social
impact and business. We will make sure to get below the surface and
come away with a more sophisticated understanding of the issues.

WHO WE ARE

The Monkey People is a network of social investors and social
entrepreneurs in the Pioneer Valley. We are driven by the notion that
successful businesses produce both financial returns and social change.

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

1. RSVP: Send us an email saying you can or cannot come on June 30th
at 6:30 pm (goldman at policydevelopment.org).

2. Forward this email immediately to anyone you think might be
interested. Our meetings are open to everyone (contingent on space).

See you there!

- The Monkey Organizing Committee:

     Mark Bucciarelli, Gaia Host Collective, www.gaiahost.net
     Terry Mollner, The Trusteeship Institute, www.spiritinbusiness.org