[Hidden-tech] Networking Consultant & Server Quote

JoAnn Lawrence joann at hartsbrook.org
Fri Jun 17 12:55:24 EDT 2005

Dear Hidden Tech List Subscribers:

We have been experiencing server failure over the past 2 weeks and are
soliciting quotes to replace our server (we are unable to access Outlook
and get the following dialog on the server: "The system can not log you
on due to the following error: The network request is not supported.
Please try again or consult your system administrator". We then have to
reboot and clear the application log to get up and running for another 2
hour span before this happens again). I recently ran check disk and
defragmented the C drive under advice of a consultant and have attached
the defragmentation report. Specifications on our hardware and software
are listed below.

We are a small organization with a budget of $2,000-$3,000 per year for
computer support. The consultant we've been working with for the past
year is leaving the business and we are at a juncture where we will need
to start up a new relationship and felt we should solicit quotes from
other Network consultants.

My contact information is as follows:

JoAnn Lawrence
Office Manager
The Hartsbrook School
193 Bay Road
Hadley, MA 01035
413/586-1908
joann at hartsbrook.org

This is generally what we are looking for in terms of ongoing support:
		Train in updating Windows Security Updates and Patches -
plus any additional maintenance
		Train in recovering data from back-up device (currently
tapes, however the tape drive is currently non-functional and needs to
be replaced) and checking back-up for functionality
		Consult regarding Networking problems
		Consult regarding VPN problems
		Consult regarding budgeting for future support &
replacement

If you are interested in installing a new server and serving as an
ongoing network consultant for our organization, please contact me
either at my work phone or at home (586-3552) so that we can discuss
this further. You can also email me.

We are requesting a quote for the hardware as well as for software (I
believe we would need Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Microsoft Windows
Server 2003 - currently using Exchange and Windows 2000) in addition to
a quote for consulting hours for configuration and installation.

We would also like your hourly rate for ongoing annual consulting
services.

Here are the specs on the hardware and software we are currently using:

The Hartsbrook School
Revised 12/31/2004
Computers:
Software for
Networked Computers:	Sophos Antivirus Academic w/Exch 10U 3Yr
(purchased 2/14/03)
			Windows 2000 Professional V 5.0.2195
			Windows XP Professional (on 5 Dimension 2400
computers in PH & HS)
			Microsoft Office XP Standard
			Microsoft Office 2003 (on 5 Dimension 2400
computers in PH & HS)
			FileMaker Pro Server 5.5, FileMaker Pro 6.0
Client
			QuickBooks Pro 2004 (on 3 computers in PH only)
			Macromedia Dreamweaver MX and FTP Explorer

Ben Smith:	These 2 computers are networked together and linked to
the server via a cable connection with Charter with a static IP address.

	Computer 1: 	Dell Optiplex GX150 Minitower
			1 GHZ, 256K
			Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			17" Dell CRT Monitor
			3 Yr Contract (purchased 2/15/02)

	Computer 2:	Dell Latitude Notebook C800E
			PIII-! Gigaherts
			Read/Write Video Disk Drive
			3 Yr Contract (purchased 2/15/02)

	Network Printer:	HP Laser Jet 5000N

Cable Connection:	Charter Communications SOHO Pipeline Bronze
			Static IP Address
Modem:			Motorola Surfboard 4100
Firewall:			Watchguard SOHO 6 TC 10U W/VPN

Piening Hall:	These 5 Computers and the server are networked together

	Computers 1-2:	Dell Optiplex GX150 Minitower
			1 GHZ, 256K
			Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			1 17" Dell CRT Monitor, 1 15" Dell Flat Panel
Monitor
			3 Yr Contract (purchased 2/15/02)

	Computer 3:	Dell Optiplex GX240
			1.7 MHZ
			Compact Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			15" HP CRT Monitor

	Computers 4-5:	Dell Dimension 2400 Tower
			2.66 GHZ, 256K
			Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			2 17" Dell CRT Monitor
			1 Yr Warranty (purchased 7/13/04)

	Network Printer:	HP Laser Jet 6MP
	Printer (# 4 only):HP LJ 1012 Laser

	Server:		Dell PowerEdge 2500 Tower
			1.26 GHz, 512K
			1.44 MB Floppy Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			4X18 GB 10K RPM Ultra 160 SCSI Hard Drive
			Dual power supply
			3 Yr Contract (purchased 4/16/02)

Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 v 8.6 Server
Backup Exec 8.6 Agent for MS Exchange, Windows NT/2000

	UPS:		Dell 1500 Stand Alone 120V

Switch:		Dell PowerConnect 2016 Unmanaged Switch 16 port 10/100
Fast Ethernet

Homestead:	Computers 1 & 2 are networked

	Computer 1:	Dell Optiplex GX150 Minitower
			1 GHZ, 256K
			Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			1 17" Dell CRT Monitor
			3 Yr Contract (purchased 2/15/02)

	Computer 2:	SONY VAIO Notebook GRS P4-1.8
256/30/DVD-CDR/XP15
			SONY USB Floppy Drive for VAIO Notebooks w/ AC
Adapter

	Computer 3: 	?Gateway 2000 (Not on Network)
			Pentium(r)
			32.0 MB RAM
	MS Windows 95
			4.00.950 B

	Printers:		Brother HL 1440 Laser
			Canon MP730 Color Flatbed
Printer/Copier/Fax/Scanner

Cable Connection:	Charter Communications SOHO Pipeline Bronze
Modem:			Motorola Surfboard 4100
Firewall:			?Lynksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
w4-Port 10/100 Switch Model BEFVP41

High School:

	Computer 1:	Dell Inspiron Notebook 5150
			P4, 2.66 Gigaherts
			Windows XP Home
			Microsoft Office Small Business 2003
			24X CD-RW/DVD, Video Card
			Wireless 1350 Networking Card
			Floppy Drive
			1 Yr Contract (purchased 5/26/04)

Computers 2-4:	Dell Dimension 2400 Tower
			2.66 GHZ, 256K
			Disk Drive, Hard Floppy Drive
			3 17" Dell CRT Monitor
			1 Yr Warranty (purchased ?8/04)

	Computer 5:	Power Computing (Networked for High Speed
Internet & Email)
			Power Center Pro 210
		Built-in Memory 128 MB
		Mac OS 9.1