[Hidden-tech] Problems with Comcast connection

Fred Steinberg fred at brownbearsoftware.com
Sun Jan 16 10:47:26 EST 2005

>> Just wondering if anyone is using Verizon DSL? I'm still waiting to
>> see
>> if it's really available on my line in Montague, but it's $25/mo
>> instead of Comcast for $46/mo.

FWIW, we've had DSL in our part of Shutesbury[1] for 3-4 months now,
w/virtually no problems. (DNS was down for 1/2 hour one day.) From
Verizon, $30/month for, let's see, it's reporting 1792 KBits/Sec down,
448 KBits/Sec up. I've been quite pleased with it; no complaints about
tech support, probably because I haven't needed or tried to contact
them. If DSL is available, note that you are not necessarily locked
into Verizon (despite what they'll tell you); Crocker Communications
can provide service over Verizon's lines.

Footnotes:
[1] Only a minority of addresses are in range of DSL. No cable. For
more info on broadband and the lack thereof in Shutesbury/Leverett,
see: http://slbc.ste.proresell.com/