[Hidden-tech] Problems with Comcast connection

Gordon Alexander galexander at rnasystems.com
Sat Jan 15 17:57:03 EST 2005

I've been using comcast for 3 years now, with relatively few problems.  In
fact I have my phone service (vonage) over my comcast connection, and even
that is quite reliable. (and$25/mo for unlimited local/longdistance, forgive
the sales pitch!)

DSL- slower if you can get it at all, totally dependent on your distance
from the nearest dsl-equipped Verizon central office (and that distance is
as the wire runs, not as the crow flies, so even if you can see the CO out
your window, you might be 5 miles away).

Of the dozen or so people i know who've tried both, i don't know a single
person who felt that verizon was more responsive/reliable than comcast, nor
of a single person who felt the dsl service was in any way better than the
cable broadband.

Reiterating a prior comment to the list, the biggest problem with cable
tends to be a mass of splitters in the basement ceiling(each one not only
splits the signal, but splits the signal strength).  Best solution, is (1)
make sure that the cable to the modem comes off the FIRST splitter so the
signal's the strongest possible, (2) if there are any open jacks on that
splitter, cap them (caps available at kmart, target, radioshack... these
help maintain signal strength), and (3) toss a low-pass filter on the modem
line to kill the tv signal on that segment.

For what it's worth, one time when mine died, it was because there was water
inside the cable sheath, running in from outside.  Internet went first, then
high-hz tv channels, then gradually it crept down the dial to somewhere in
the 30's before i had a technician in to deal...  poor guy had to run a new
line from a pole out in the woods to the house and then into the house in
the middle of winter.

Best regards,

Gordon Alexander
RNA Interactive Systems