[Hidden-tech] (un)reasonable expectations of email and web hosting services?

Chris Duncan, GISmatters duncan at GISmatters.com
Fri Dec 16 15:45:20 EST 2005

I've just passed through the 2nd substantial interruption to my email and
web hosting services (same provider for both services) this year, and I'm
wondering if my expectations are reasonable or not: I expect the provider
to have enough redundancy to keep at least email up and running 24x7. In
the short time I've been in business (15 months), I'e had several
out-of-the-blue contacts that have led to paying work, and I hate to think
that bounced email at the wrong moment could be turning away potential
customers, or even just annoying existing ones. The failure on this
occasion, at least, was such that messages were not being held for
re-delivery - they were being bounced back to the sender with a message to
the effect that gismatters.com was an unknown/non-existent host - related,
I suspect, to the fact that the web hosting service was also down for the
past 18 hours... I don't think that creates a very good impression for my
clients.

So, is it time for me to look for a different provider (and if so, I've got
questions about how to do that in as seamless a way as possible), or is my
experience par for the course and that's just life with the internet?

Chris

--

Chris Duncan
President