[Hidden-tech] Helping others without broadband

Edbride-PR Ed at edbride-pr.com
Mon Aug 8 11:20:45 EDT 2005

This anecdote might explain my reference to local ordinances. In my previous
home, our leach field failed. Everybody was on septic systems in the
neighborhood, but a sewer line was "only" 1,100 feet away; so, we dug an
1,100-ft. trench and tied-in to municipal sewer."My" pipeline ran in front
of three other houses that have septic systems; the town would not allow
them to tap into my line, because of issues of accountability: whose problem
would it be if there were some failure and more than one household was
tied-in using the one line? The town said that sharing my sewer line would
make me a public utility, and they did not allow it.

So, that's the thinking. Could I have gotten away with a secret tap? Maybe
so. Could a homeowner sit by while others accessed his/her Wi-Fi signal?
Maybe so. If the discussion is based on what one can get away with, that's
probably beyond the purview of this list. Technically, Wi-Max is probably
the way to go, and who knows, it might not be cost-prohibitive to do it
legally.

Ed