[Hidden-tech] Try Crocker (instead of Verizon)!

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Fri Apr 8 14:32:48 EDT 2005

Hello,

  I just subscribed to this list so I'm kinda jumping into the middle of
this conversation.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions
people may have about our network.  Our network is undergoing a HUGE
expansion now.  Our CLEC build out is gaining steam.

I appreciate all of the kind words people have said about our service.
We do strive to provide the best service and support in the valley,  We
aren't perfect but the advantage of using a local company is you can
call me directly and/or stop by if you have a complaint.

We are building a Gigabit fiber backbone up the Valley.  We'll have
nodes in Springfield, Northampton and Greenfield by June.  The fiber
from Springfield to Northampton uses FiberTech and never touches
Verizon until it gets to the Central Office.  The fiber from Greenfield
to Northampton is on Verizon because Verizon is the *only* fiber
provider in Greenfield.

We have 115mbps of Internet bandwidth in Springfield from 3 different,
diverse suppliers (Sprint, Cogent, GlobalNAPs).  We currently peak at
30mbps on our Internet bandwidth

We have a 45mbps ATM circuit to Verizon for our DSL customers. We
currently peak that circuit at 12mbps.

Essentially we have 0 contention anywhere on our network, our core is
running with Gigabit Ethernet.  Our core router (Cisco 12000) is
capable of handling 2.5gbps on every card.  We have plenty of room to
grow.

We currently match the published Verizon Business DSL pricing.  If you
add up their extra services (spam protected e-mail) we are actually
quite a bit less than Verizon Online for Business DSL.

VOL sells Residential DSL below their cost right now in an attempt to
cut Comcast/Charter off at the knees.  I don't know how long they can
continue to do that.  We sell our Residential DSL at a *very* slight
margin.  I truly believe we provide a superior product and service for
that extra $10.

Our new network will allow us to provide some unique service offerings
such as LAN extension service, and Metro Ethernet.  We can, for example
pickup an Ethernet VLAN trunk (802.1q) from a customer in Greenfield
and deliver it to their other offices in Northampton, Amherst and
Springfield.  We will also start offering SHDSL (2.3mbps full duplex)
and ADSL2+ (24mbps) in Northampton and Greenfield over the summer.  We
can bind multiple circuits together (4 x T1 = 6mbps, 4 x SDHSL =
9.2mbps).

We can also run our own cable down the street, it would take a strong
business case to justify a fiber run but it is possible if the numbers
work.

I'm currently looking at wireless solutions for the hilltowns.  I can
deliver N x T1 circuits off our core network to a wireless AP and serve
30 houses for about $40/month per house.  I can do this just about
anywhere in the valley.  I'll need clear line of sight in the
neighborhood.  I may need to borrow a roof for the antenna. I can do
smaller neighborhoods but the price per house would increase.

Our network is state of the art 'carrier grade'.  We are built for high
speed IP services.

With Verizon/Verizon Online you are a very small fish in a very big
ocean. If you want/need rubber stamp, henry ford Internet Access they
are a choice.  If you need a little bit more, some customization,
better service then give us a call.

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch,  if you want to e-mail
me off-list please feel free to do so.

If you want a detailed 'geek' explanation of our network I would be
happy to do that as well.

Thanks for your time

-Matt

--